Saturday 16 February 2019

Defiance of type 1 diabetes

A condition like type 1 you need the following attributes:
Patience
Understanding 
Mathematical awareness 
Analytical.. and fearless 

I went to the GP today
and saw the nurse
Did she know anything about my condition? “hell no”
Inpatient and talking about her mum, who has the condition 
I said to her, “listen the condition is complex, more than you know”
Yet her knowledge was limited and attention span a little low.

I wouldnt mind, her job isn’t easy to do
Hearing people like me harp about this and that,
A tick box exercise that all it was 
I stood my ground and said “it’s ok to have knowledge, but doing is key”
I confess, my condition shall always have its challenges 
As I know sometimes things just need to be.

I embrace diabetes knowledge as my temperament works it through
Day at a time, you are the expert patient with a long term focus, 
You own the condition, not the condition owns you.
Accepting, learning and moving forward as this is perplexing 
Yet as least I have the patience, guile not to give in
It’s your health, you have done nothing wrong...
if others think they know your condition better than you
Just say this: “I have experienced a hypo. So what would you do?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The light will show

The sun will rise The body will break and then eventually awake, That’s the journey we enter through the Father, who is able to take. Made m...