Wednesday 15 May 2024

You can’t have that (diabetes poem)

You can’t have that!
Often a word said to a type 1 diabetic,
Or as we prefer to say ‘a person with diabetes’..
So allow me to explain on how you can treat us.

Yes, there’s a calculation involved
There’s an equation that includes to eat that cheesecake or carby dish,
Not the ‘plastic doctors’ who think they know your condition more, therefore, ought to dismiss.

People think they are helping
But we own this condition, not you,
It’s grating on the ear, when others say: ‘you can’t have that…’
‘Well actually I can even eat that chocolate bowler hat’.

Stay at peace with your condition 
People might have questions or even ask: ‘how do you get that condition?’
Well my pancreas decided to die… as that is simply my position.

I take insulin to live.. I have no choice
If I remain humble, focused and learn the system I need
Then one day you may get the gist to how I can feed.

Jason 
16th May 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment

One day at a time

Not until some unexpected hits  Your world turned upside down, Not knowing what to do, feeling like you’ve just drowned. The great news is t...